Sunday, August 24, 2014

Meet Nicola!

Hello, my name is Nicola, I´m 21 years old and I come from Germany. Four
days after finishing my B.Sc. in physic at TU Dortmund University, I
caught a the plane to Thailand. That is already fourteen days ago and
right now I´m sitting in the living room of your volunteer house and life
in Germany seems to be very far away. The most important thing you need to
know about me is, that through Cultural Canvas Program, I am the new volunteer at Wildflower Home, an
organization for Single Mothers in Chiang Mai.


Here I am, Thailand, Chiang Mai, 32°C and 49 % humidity according to
google. Maybe not the best circumstances for a body used to 18°C and light
rain. So what brought me here? It is the idea of learning from a different
culture and maintaining an intercultural dialogue on eye-level. I see the
six month in Thailand as a great chance to understand at least a bit of
its rich culture. And I hope to contribute with my ideas and talents, or
just a helping hand, my fair share to Wildflower Home.
Although I am a scientist and my heart beats for expressing nature in
handy equations, I always believed that there is nothing more enriching
than learning from different people. That’s why social work is an
important part of my life. It gives me the opportunity to help people and,
at the same time, to learn from their stories.
Furthermore I love to travel, whenever university allows it and my
voluntary service seems to be a good opportunity to see more of this
beautiful part of the world.

What have I done so far in Chiang Mai? The first week was basically a
short orientation in Thai culture and language and detailed overview over
my tasks at Wildflower Home. Of course we did a lot of sightseeing, too.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep was only one of the impressing temples, we
visited. I cannot remember that I have ever seen so much gold. But my
highlight was definitely the walk through the evergreen forest. The
biodiversity this forest has is inconceivable and fascinated me very much.
Call me a fool, but did you know that the nice rattan chairs in the café
around the corner used to have spikes?
For some unlikely circumstances I worked at Wildflower Home only for two
and a half days so far. That´s why I won’t write about the work there, it
is simply not enough time to get into it, but maybe next time, so stay tune to my next blog!
So six month of learning ahead and I can´t wait to try out more delicious
food, explore the city and, most important start (again) with my work at

Wildflower Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment