Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Blog 5

I was thinking hard about what to write in this week´s blog. There hasn´t
been something extraordinary, I could tell. It has been a week as usual.
But maybe that’s the extraordinary thing: to say a week as usual. It
implicates, that there is actually something that approximates everyday
life in Thailand. Even though my Thai is still pretty poor – only some
basic words and sentences - I work on it. I manage somehow to get along.
It´s incredible how much you can understand contextually, especially if
you know the person you are talking to a bit better. However, it doesn’t
help you much when you are about to buy mosquito spray and want to know,
it´s whitening. Thai letters are still a mystery to me – somewhere in
between beautiful ornaments and Linear A.
But there is always someone around to help you and even if it´s with hand
and feet. Charades between shampoo and bug killer. Sometimes it´s life
writing the best stories of all.
The rain found us finally this week. Our local coordinator kept telling us
at the weekly family dinner, the monsoon comes next week. Every week was
hot and – beside some rain at night- dry. I´ll bet, there has been more
rain back home and it´s summer there. I automatically stated to wonder
where the rainy season got its name from. However, the rainy season should
be almost over, so were we told this week. The rain started the same
evening, rhythmic and constant, choking every other sound from outside. I
love rain. Listening to the rain with a good cup of tea has the same
effect on me like a warm fireplace in a frosty winter night. As a side
effect of this rain the days are cooler, which everyone appreciates very
much. To illustrate the temperature change, I was even wearing my dad´s
warm sweater till lunch time.
Well, what can I say, the rain didn´t last too long and now we are back to
32.8 °C in the house. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment