Wednesday, July 12, 2017

CCT Volunteer Jack Pooler (Thai Freedom House)

Hey Everyone!

I have been working at Thai Freedom House for almost two weeks now, and so far it has been really busy! The graduation ceremony for this past academic term is on Friday, and so there has been a lot of planning for that throughout the week. This past term we taught Shan, Burmese, English, and Thai, and I had the opportunity to be present for a couple of the English and Thai courses the last week or so. The students are mainly Burmese refugees or migrants and are from all ages. Almost every day, donations from places all over town come in and need to be sorted so they can be distributed to groups of indigenous people and refugee camps along the border, so a lot of time has been dedicated to that so far as well.

Outside of the day to day affairs, I have also been assigned to look into and develop possible fundraising opportunities that organizations such as Thai Freedom House are regularly supported by. So far research has included potential grant or other fundraising opportunities, which I will continue researching or possibly developing my own fundraising project throughout the summer

Lastly, many of the employees at Thai Freedom House or Free Bird Cafe are Burmese and are still learning English, and I will be tutoring some of them once a week while I am here.


It has been an amazing experience so far. There is always work to be done, and I am really looking forward to the new experiences and the rest of the summer here!

No comments:

Post a Comment