Wednesday, July 12, 2017

CCT Volunteer Mansur Alam (BEAM and ARI)




My name is Mansur Alam, this summer I have been blessed with a wonderful opportunity to spend 2 months volunteering in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I have come to volunteer with the Cultural Canvas Thailand through EIL Explore programme. It is a dream of mine to work with ethnic minorities and Refugees because I myself is a refugee from Burma. I’ve spend my early childhood living in a refugee camp in Bangladesh. And I came to Ireland in 2009, never having attended school and with no English I have faced many difficulties and challenges every day with the language and school work.
So I know what the situation is like for the people living in such camp because I can relate. this is why I have chosen to volunteer here in Chiang Mai where I heard about the Burmese refugee students who left the country and now want to go to university in Thailand.
I will be teaching science at the BEAM foundation in Chiang Mai two days a week, Tuesday and Friday. BEAM is an organisation that provide education to the Burmese refugees who did not had the opportunity to go to college or complete their education in Burma. The aim of this project is to prepare the students to passed the GED exam so that they can apply to university in Thailand.
In my free time I will be working with the Art Relief International (ARI) programme where I will be working on different workshops such as, visiting foster home, children schools and many more. I am very excited to be here and can’t wait for my work to begin.

Thanks,
Alam



No comments:

Post a Comment