Wednesday, July 12, 2017

CCT Volunteer Julia Taladay Blog Post (Art Relief International)

Since starting my internship with ARI only 2.5 weeks ago, I feel like my understanding of so many different things have changed. The people I’ve gotten to meet and work with have made me realize that I can be an extremely adaptable and relaxed person, while also being a leader that people look up to. Before starting the internship, I did not think that I would work well with disabled people at all. Being an athlete, most of my friends are also athletes and we often bond over physical activities like sports or competitions. For children who are physically disables, I was unsure if I would be able to make a connection with them. At Hope Home and Healing Families, I proved myself wrong. I have learned new ways to bod with people through different avenues. I am learning how to communicate and bond with others in a way that in still physical, like helping the kids paint and giving them different fabrics to feel, but in a way that is less competitive and more educational and therapeutic. This has been a recent revelation of mine. One of my favorite moments with ARI so far has been with Healing Family, playing games with the participants. It is physical, but in a way that encourages bonding and solidarity rather than competition. I’m excited to see how ARI will redefine other concepts for me in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment