Wednesday, July 12, 2017

CCT Volunteer Mark Cotter Art Relief International - Compassion, Understanding, and Awareness




                               







Chiang Mai, Thailand. The mountains surround the city in serenity, combing with the 

cloudy skies to create a soft, calm scene. Everywhere you walk, everywhere you look, 

there are food stands representing the communal Thai society as customers and 

sellers exchange food, money, and happiness. The Old City is reminiscent of the 

Lanna Kingdom, a past and glorious empire with Chiang Mai as its capital. As the 

moat surrounds this part, you can still watch Lanna dance performances and enjoy 

traditional Lanna cuisine. However, the best part of my trip, more than the food, the 

mountains, and the past, are the people. Through my internship, I have been exposed 

to the various communities Chiang Mai offers and they are often undeserved.




 



In a two-week span, I have worked with adults with disabilities, children with disabilities, Burmese refugees, students at temple schools, juveniles, elderly, and male sex workers. Art Relief International has bestowed upon me the opportunity to create and present art workshops to these marginalized communities. From teaching the students English words and drawing their favorite food on a plate, to forging charmed bracelets for the children with disabilities and dancing to the beats they made.

dance performances and enjoy traditional Lanna cuisine. However, the best 

part of my trip, more than the food, the mountains, and the past, are the 

people. Through my internship, I have been exposed to the various 

communities Chiang Mai offers and they are often undeserved



 



These communities are full of love, joy, determination, and grit. Yes, they are undeserved and marginalized, but they are as capable of succeeding as everyone else when given equitable opportunities. My compassion, awareness, and understanding has substantially grown in these past couple of weeks, and I hope to continue that for the rest of my internship.


No comments:

Post a Comment