Wednesday, July 12, 2017

CCT volunteer Nora Demilta Blog Post Art Relief International


It is crazy how much time has already passed. I am more done with my summer adventure than not. It’s frightening to think about returning home and it’s making me want to savor my time here. This past week of workshops brought unique challenges and victories that I did not originally expect. I am still learning the dynamic of this team and discovering how we all fit together. Regardless, I’m thankful for the group I am working with. We support each other in and out of the workshops and are always ready for fun.


            I taught my first workshop last Monday with Thai Freedom House. We made pinwheels and boxes for them to be displayed in. When we came up the stairs the kids were running around, shouting, and throwing a ball around the room. I was anxious to begin. I had no idea how I would be able to communicate what I needed from them and how I would be able to lead their group. Luckily, Pepo handled most of the explanation and fielded any questions the children had. I felt so guilty whenever I was unable to assist one of the students properly. I would look blankly at the students as they asked me questions in their native language. Only fully responding when they called out, “Teacher!” As my time progresses I would like to do my best to communicate more with the students. I know that I’m not going to become a Thai wizard overnight but I think it’s important for our relationship to figure out a multitude of ways to communicate. There’s more than just verbal communication and I will have to use that to my advantage while I’m here.





           
  I love my placement and I am so thankful for the chance to be here. The more time I spend with ARI the more I feel connected to what I value as an artist. All of the groups we work with are so unique and it makes every day a new adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment