Wednesday, July 12, 2017

CCT Volunteer Kyra DiFrancesco Blog Post FORRU placement

These past few weeks have had their ups and downs. At FORRU, we alternate between office days and field trips. So far, I like to go on the field trips more than I like to stay at the office, although for the field trips we have to get up very early. On field trips, we tend to plots (raking leaves, prepping for planting, etc.), have planting days, or transport seedlings from nurseries to planting sites. In the future, I hope my fellow TEAN interns and myself can participate in more science-based field trips. For example, FORRU also has to do monitoring, GPS tracking, set up camera traps, and test pH levels in the soil.

On office days, we are either stuck in meetings or just doing data entry. The meetings are interesting but they can be very long. For data entry we are copying field notebooks from the 1990s into Excel. This doesn’t feel like very important work nor is it of immediate necessity. However, the past two days we got to stamp tags for seedlings for our next planting day. It was fun to work with my hands. Over the next few days, I’m definitely going to start asking for more responsibilities, whether from my supervisor or from the head of FORRU. Right now I’m a little apprehensive we are being treated like typical interns.


In addition to stamping tags for the seedlings, some other highlights of the past few weeks include our first field trip, in which we helped teach a group of American students about FORRU, and our big planting day on 24 June. We did a lot of work leading up to that day, and it was great to finally see the trees being planted. I had never planted a tree before, so to think that I planted a baby tree that could live for decades and help restore the forest is really exciting!


No comments:

Post a Comment